There are several ways to solve this, read thoroughly 🤓
First, try to close the extension and reopen it (in the Window > Extensions menu).
Also make sure that you run a supported version of Illustrator or Photoshop:
- CC 2017, 2018, 2019 are supported
- Illustrator CC 2015.3 (version 20.0.0) or more recent
- Photoshop CC 2015.5 (version 17.0.0) or more recent
If you are not sure, check the exact version number in the About Illustrator... and About Photoshop.. menus..
Try to download and install the latest:
- Fontself Maker update from here.
Adobe updates with the Creative Cloud App.
If you still can't see the Fontself panel, read on 👀
- On older computers, it may take a while (up to a few minutes) to initialize extensions the first time you load them.
- If nothing shows up after a couple minutes, try to resize the Fontself extension panel to any size (yup, this may just work sometimes!).
- Then check that your Internet connection is working.
- If you run a firewall app (like Little Snitch on Mac or Windows Firewall on PC) or if you run antivirus software like MacAfee, follow the procedures below to allow the extension's processes.
- If you are behind a company or school's filtered network, allow the specific ports & URLs as detailed below.
- If you're running multiple versions of Illustrator or Photoshop at the same time try closing them all and only open one.
- If nothing above works, send us the Logs from the extension (if you can't access the Logs menu, send us your Adobe CC apps logs)
Click on the button below 👇
Setting up your Firewall 🔥
Little Snitch (Mac only)
- Open LittleSnitch
- Click on All Rules
- On the top right corner type "CEP" in the search input
- If the process CEPHtmlEngine is blocked, delete the blocking rule
FYI, the CEPHtmlEngine is a complicated name for Adobe's extension process 😉
- Open MacAfee
- Go to Web and Email Protection > Firewall then click Internet Connection for Programs
- Locate Node.js and click on it to highlight it
- Then click Edit and alter the permissions to either Open ports to Work and Home networks or Open to All Devices
- Click Save and exit
- Restart Illustrator/Photoshop & launch Fontself
Do you remember having seen this the first time you launched Fontself?
It was actually for a plugin that needs access to the network to communicate with our extension, so if you clicked cancel or didn't clicked on Private networks it might be the source of your problem. In that case you can:
1) Search for "Firewall"
2) Go to "Allow an app or..."
3) Click on "Change Settings"
If the "Private" checkbox is not checked do the next steps, if it was already checked tell me ;)
5) Double-click on it and click "Network types...."
6) Check "Private"
7) Save with "OK" and close the windows
8) Restart Photoshop or Illustrator and launch Fontself
9) It should now work ;)
Whitelisting on filtered networks / firewalls 🕸
All ports from 4766 up to 4886 (included):
- 127.0.0.1 (for this local IP address only)
Port 443 (HTTPS) for all urls below:
- api.fontself.com To make sure this URL works fine, just open this link in your browser and it should display a smiling emoji: 😏
Last resort solution
If none of the solutions above works, you can try disabling a security signature feature for Adobe's apps to run any extension code (it should also load faster after the next restart).
Just mind that the commands below must be adjusted based on the CC version you intend to run, with the following pattern:
...CSXS.9for CC 2019
...CSXS.8for CC 2018
...CSXS.7for CC 2017
On Mac, from your Terminal app:
- Type (or copy/paste) and run:
defaults write com.adobe.CSXS.9 PlayerDebugMode 1
- If you ever want to turn it off again (which we recommend) just run:
defaults write com.adobe.CSXS.9 PlayerDebugMode 0
On Windows, from your CMD app:
regedit > HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Adobe/CSXS.9
- Add a new entry
stringwith a value of
- If you ever want to turn it off again (which we recommend) just run change the
stringwith a value of
If nothing worked...
Just take a minute to read this article again and make sure you didn't miss any step (like closing / reopening the extension & installing the latest updates? 😇)
You can contact us at email@example.com or use the live chat (with your email to get our answer in that case) and send us the logs (See how in the first section, just before the "Setting up your Firewall" section).